Describing the anatomy of a backpack may not sound like an interesting pursuit, but it is surely worth your attention. A brief knowledge of the various features of a backpack can help you make the right decision while choosing one.
Many people get confused seeing too many backpacks as they don’t know what exactly they should look for in a backpack. In this blog post, we will discuss the parts of a backpack and what each part does. We’ll also discuss what to look for in a backpack for your specific needs.
Parts of a Backpack
Before we go into the details, let’s first discuss the parts of a backpack. Following are the main parts of a backpack:
- Main compartments
- Additional pockets
- Accessory components
Most of the backpacks come with several compartments. The main compartments of different backpacks are not always similar in size and shape. Separated compartments help in organizing various items and prevent them from getting jumbled up.
Main compartments are made of different materials and variable styles. Numerous people search for durable bags so they could hold heavy books, laptops, and clothes. If you also want a backpack that lasts for years then you should look for a backpack that is made up of durable material, like polyester fabric. Nylon-made backpacks are also sturdy and durable, but they are not as much as polyester ones.
Backpacks that have two or more compartments for keeping the laptop and books separate are also available in the market. While looking for a backpack to keep your laptop with other stuff, make sure to choose one that comes with a padded laptop compartment. A padded compartment can protect your laptop from getting scratches and dents. Have a look at our Best Dual Laptop Backpacks to get the best backpacks for laptops.
JCDOBEST Travel Laptop Backpack offers High-quality polyester manufacturing that lasts for years. It also comes with spacious compartments that help you accommodate all your daily essentials.
Apart from main compartments, backpacks have various pockets on their exterior to help you keep your necessary items at an arm’s distance. These pockets are of various types so that they can hold more or less a number of things. They also maintain a balance between weightlessness and functionality. Our Best Backpacks with lots of Pockets can help you get a backpack with multiple pockets.
- A hydration pouch on a backpack is a useful feature that you should look for. This pouch can hold water bottles or hydration bladders so that you don’t need to carry one more container.
- There are also some backpacks that have a pocket on the hip belt so you can keep your snacks or mobile phones while enjoying hiking or other outdoor activities.
- The sunglasses pocket on the backpack is another such pocket. It can hold sunglasses or other accessories, thus preventing them from getting lost while travelling.
- Some backpacks also offer an anti-theft pocket to keep your important items safe.
Another important part of a backpack is the straps that help you carry the bag more easily. Backpacks are not always carried on your hand or in one arm only as they can be heavy to hold for long hours at once. While choosing a bag, make sure it comes with adjustable straps, so you can adjust the straps according to your size.
Various types of straps can help you on your way to school, office, or hiking tracts.
- Shoulder straps are the most common type of straps and they can be found in almost all backpacks. They also help distribute weight evenly on both shoulders to prevent any discomfort while carrying a heavy load for long hours. Notice padding on shoulder straps because it is necessary to reduce the pressure on your shoulders.
- Sternum straps help in stabilizing the backpack and fixing it to your chest. It also helps in distributing weight more evenly on both shoulders by preventing shoulder straps from slipping off your shoulders.
- Chest straps are also common to find in backpacks but they can be seen mostly on women’s packs. Chest straps help you tighten the backpack around your chest and torso so that you don’t have to worry about it slipping off your shoulders.
- The top grab handle is also a common type of strap that can be found in most backpacks. It is a useful feature to have as it allows you to lift the bag easily when placed on the ground.
Nike Hayward 2.0 Backpack comes with adjustable shoulder straps that offer extra padding. Padding helps the user to carry it conveniently anywhere.
Vera Bradley Recycled Lighten Up Backpack is another great backpack that comes with well-padded shoulder straps as well as adjustable chest straps. It also has a trolley sleeve so you could keep your backpack over your luggage handle.
The back of a backpack comes with breathable mesh, so it can keep your back free from sweating. This feature is especially useful in summer when you are carrying a heavy load on the backpack for long hours and need to wear more clothes due to the rising temperature outside.
While looking for the best backpack, check whether its frame has an aluminium or plastic sheet inserted into the back panel. It can be a useful feature to look for as it provides additional support and protection against sharp objects that may poke into your bag while carrying it on rough surfaces, or when you need to carry heavy items in the backpack.
The padding of the back is also an essential feature as it provides protection to your back and prevents it from getting scratches.
Volher Laptop Backpack is an outstanding backpack that comes with a ventilated, mesh back. The back of this backpack also has elastic padding.
Besides the above-mentioned part, backpacks also come with some accessory components that help you on your way. Following are some of the accessory features:
Rain covers are usually placed in the bottom compartment and they can keep your backpack protected from getting wet. Some rain covers also have a roll-top closure that ensures water doesn’t enter into your bag through any other opening when it is raining outside.
Some backpacks come with a USB charging port to charge your electronic devices on the go. You can keep your mobile phones or small portable speakers charged while traveling as you don’t need to carry an extra cable and charger separately.
Gear loops are usually found on the side of a backpack and they can help you carry your hiking gear, like ice axes, hiking poles, and other tools.
A hip belt is also placed on the waist of your backpack for additional support when carrying heavy loads in it. It prevents the backpack from bouncing much when you are running or walking up the steep road.
SAMIT Hiking Backpack comes with exceptional features. In addition to durable manufacturing, it offers a rain cover, hip belt, chest strap, and side strap buckles. It also offers hydration bladder access to make your hiking experience convenient.
So these are some of the main parts of a backpack. It is important to choose a bag with the right size and weight so that you don’t face any discomfort while carrying it. After reading the above article, I hope you will know which backpack you need to carry.